The dark web

by | Mar 19, 2018 | Websites | 0 comments

While television shows like Criminal Minds or NCIS would like you to believe the dark web is the exclusive and hard-to-access playground of dubious people conducting criminal activities, companies like The New York Times are creating websites on the dark web.

Most of the web is invisible to Google or inaccessible to the general public. According to researchers, only 4% of the web is visible. The other 96% is considered the “deep web” which consists of protected sites (such as your online banking) or other pages that are not discoverable search engines.

Within the deep web resides the dark web. It sounds like a scary place. But believe it or not, it isn’t all guns and porn.

The dark web provides a way for information to be exchanged among people whose governments limit internet usage and access to news outlets or other sites. Therefore, it makes sense that the New York Times is making its website available as a Tor Onion Service, allowing people to access news that is otherwise censored, joining sites like ProPublica and Facebook.

Learn more from Fast Company.

Related Posts

Share This

Share this post with your friends!