Menu

“Let it go” is not just an earworm Disney tune adored — and detested — by millions. It’s also advice for our marketing contest winner as we get further into the website development portion of our campaign without gaining much ground.

As we’ve said before, we anticipate hurdles when two companies come together to collaborate on a big project. One of the hurdles we’re facing in this segment of the project is that the tools we’ve provided to move forward have not always been utilized, despite the Savoir Faire team explaining their importance and demonstrating how to use them.

Our partners in this project are used to completing their work using a certain process and it’s tough to move away from that. I just happen to be the queen of, “This is how my brain works,” so I can relate — to a point.

As the experts in our subject matter, we’ve developed a number of tools that have proved successful in our website development projects. What has become clear is that some of those tools are not comfortable for the HydroComp team to use and they are resisting using them. Thus, opposing mindsets and tactics are slowing our process and affecting our goals.

In the previous post, we were beginning the second stage of our three-part marketing plan. This one is called Building the Machine and it includes the all-important development of content. We provided multiple documents to their team, including a spreadsheet listing all of their existing content with our opinion on its relevance to be used on a new website. We drafted and provided content templates to be filled in with specific information that would fit into the mutually-agreed-upon digital infrastructure.

We asked that their team provide a first draft of content for the site, as they are the subject matter experts, for us to edit and/or massage it to fit the specific needs of the site.

Because we didn’t get any questions or concerns about this process, we assumed things were moving along. That was our mistake. It was only after the deadline passed for the content to be delivered that we learned things weren’t going as smoothly as we had anticipated.

Change can be tough; we live that with our clients every day. However, the delays are now affecting the potential success of the project. The prize included discovery, building the new website, and implementing a marketing campaign for what was anticipated to be six months. The delays we’ve experienced as our processes have not matched up are affecting that. We have already pushed back at least two months of executing the marketing program because we’re cutting into that time.

In a typical engagement, when a project is delayed, we can delay the site launch date and/or add to the budget, which acts as a significant deterrent to delays. In this case, however, we don’t have that budgetary recourse because our services are being provided pro bono. And, I’m beginning to be concerned that Savoir Faire’s success might be impacted by these delays, because we will have run out of hours allocated before we can complete a full campaign and demonstrate the results.

We’re also at fault because we should have been more aggressive in communication. We should have checked in earlier to see how the content was progressing. Going forward, we’re going to have to be more attentive so we can get back on track together.

Remember, we said this blog series would be “warts and all,” so this is where we are. We’ve faced challenges like this in the past and we’ve come together with companies to get to a point of mutually-agreeable satisfaction.

That is still the goal here, and we’re committed to making it happen.

Get Your 10-Step Checklist for Website Redesign

Share This

Share this post with your friends!